PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Do you choose curriculum based on your child(ren)'s learning style(s)?

Topsy
07-14-2010, 11:18 PM
One of the most significant and life-changing things I've done since we started homeschooling was researching and discovering my children's learning styles. Once I finally understood that my younger son was a visual/kinesthetic learner (something very foreign to an auditory learner like myself), we finally began making some headway in his learning!! When we combined a multimedia online curriculum with hands-on supplemental activities, my son's "learning disabilities" became almost non-existent!

I hope you have had a chance to evaluate your child's learning style too. If not, here are some of my favorite resources for learning styles:

Book: Discover Your Child's Learning Style (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761520139/coachingforlearn)
Quiz: Child Learning Style Quiz (http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz-child.html)
Store: Homeschooling Books (https://www.homeschoolingbooks.com/) - shop for curriculum by learning style

Busygoddess
07-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I voted 'other.' I choose materials based on several things, only one of which is learning style. I also use interests, strengths, and weaknesses. The materials have to fit the abilities/levels the kids are capable of working at and fit in with my educational philosophy. I usually end up modifying whatever we get, to some extent, and create materials each year because there are just some things I can't find.

Melyssa
07-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I do some of the time but not completely. It depends on the subject. It has to fit me as well depending on what it is. I'm not an effective teacher if an approach is totally uncomfortable for me. I guess I see it all as a compromise...a little for her, a little for me. I also don't want her to become too accustomed to always having things set out the most easy or comfortable because the real world isn't always (or ever?) handed to us that way. Beyond homeschooling she will have to learn things and adapt at college, or a job, etc often times without much choice in the how of it.

schwartzkari
07-15-2010, 12:22 AM
My daughter is a free spirit, lol, and she requires alot of direct instruction and hands on work. I'm positive that my son is going to be the complete opposite. I don't know how much more eclectic our homeschool can get, LOL! The major benefit of homeschooling for us is being able to pick and choose what we like and what works well. I like that we don't have to settle for anything!

ColourfulThreads
07-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I would echo Brandi and Melyssa. I choose based on many things, including what I can comfortably use. I mostly try to find resources that offer solid information presented in engaging ways. Then we work on each individual learner getting something out of the resource.

Jennifer

Firefly_Mom
07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
I definitely *try* to, but sometimes there just isn't anything available (or it's not at a price in our budget) that will accomodate his style. But since he pretty much picks out everything we use, it's not too much of a problem.

hockeymom
07-15-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't know that DS has a specific learning style. I took the quiz but most of the answers didn't apply so I doubt it was very accurate. It hasn't been an issue yet, anyway.

paganmomblog
07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I choose "I don't know my children's learning style" because I am still figuring that part out. I don't know if I will get all technical with it (aka: my daughter is kinetic) as much as just see what works and go with the flow. I have already picked up that my eldest prefers book learning, the middle prefers to do hands on applications, and the youngest does best when everything is a game. So how we accomplish our goals this year will be based on that.

Riceball_Mommy
07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't know my daughter's learning style. I choose the curriculum for this year based on the fact that Calvert worked out great for us last year. I also keep buying the Kumon books to supplement because she loves them.
I am going to take that quiz later though. Especially since I keep telling myself not to worry about next year just yet I am.

Jilly
07-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I voted 'other.' I choose materials based on several things, only one of which is learning style. I also use interests, strengths, and weaknesses. The materials have to fit the abilities/levels the kids are capable of working at and fit in with my educational philosophy.

This is how I go about choosing materials.

Sarbare0704
07-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Since we are still new at this i am not sure of her learning style yet but when we do figure it out im sure that will play part in our choices

StartingOver
07-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Since we are still new at this i am not sure of her learning style yet but when we do figure it out im sure that will play part in our choices

Quince is very hands on and auditory. Emma I haven't figured out yet, she just absorbs. She seems to pick up things, and I have no idea where she got them hehehe.

Closeacademy
07-16-2010, 08:43 AM
I figured out early on that my oldest was a Visual-spatial learner just like me. She learns best with video and lots of pictures. My youngest was harder to figure out and she is a hands-on learner like my dh so she needs lots of manipulatives and stories.

So I use a lot of Waldorf, Montessori, lapbooking and notebooking in my homeschool to meet their needs so that I can engage their senses and then things will stick.

jennykay
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm just starting hs with my 5 1/2 yo and am excited to learn what her style is. I just took the quiz and didn't feel like it was representative of my daughter, but I'm sure we'll figure it out together.

mommykicksbutt
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Yes, but it hasn't always been so until we discovered what the kids' learning styles were. When we first started I didn't have a clue and was shooting in the dark but over time and lots of observation and feed back from the kids we figured out their best way to learn. Now, if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Daughter was the type that she had to have it in her hands to examine and probe to learn. Son is the type that has to be entertained to be engaged, he has to see it move and make it move. If there is outstanding educational materials geared for my son's learning style then I'm more inclined to use it in his course of study, however I still reserve the ability to use other materials not necessarily geared to his learning style if there is insufficient materials available for him. (then I default to his number 2 way of learning - good old fashioned print, his #1 is the techno moving visual, either "movies" and/or computer animation interaction)