PDA

View Full Version : ETC - How to decide where to start

mamaraby
07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Call me clinically indecisive....I have a hard time making a decision on exactly what I want to do. I've had more than a year to figure things out and time literally is ticking away. I need to get my order placed so I can get things in advance a bit and feel less rushed.

So...I'd like to go with a phonics program. I've considered OPGTTR and even checked it out from the library. However, there's just something about Wise that really gets under my skin and annoys me to no end.

I've considered other options (including Starfall, but we're holding off on the computer at the moment) and have settled on ETC. Which brings me to the question of where to start.

Ds has a limited understanding of his letters and the sounds that they make, but since we've mostly gone through this orally ("Mom, what does 'truck' start with?") it doesn't seem like he's been able to connect that with the written words. This leads me to think that perhaps the best bet is to start with Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code instead of starting with ETC1 (which I figure assumes one already knows what's in the previous three books). I'm thinking it will help cement what he already knows in place while also helping him to build a better foundation (and linkage to written words).

Then again...I don't want to spend more than $15 on those three pre-books if I don't have to. I'm not all that keen on the way ETC's pages present writing the letters as I'd prefer to stick with HWOT for writing instruction.

So....would it be better to say go with HWOT for introducing the letters and then piecing together some things with something like Lesson Pathways before moving into ETC1? Or should I just begin at the beginning with ETC modifying the writing accordingly? And do you know where I can purchase curriculum for myself in decisiveness? Well...I'm kidding on that last part.

StartingOver
07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
If it was me, I would purchase the Leap Frog DVD Letter Factory for the letters and their sounds. Then I would start with ETC 1. You can modify anything to match your child.

We are doing ETC just because my son loves workbooks, we use parts of ETC, HOP, OPGTR, Sonlight LA K, DEL and tons of readers. Along with Progressive Phonics, Starfall, Enchanted Learning letter books, & anything else I can find.

MamaB2C
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I second Leap Frog Letter Factory. DS had the letters and sounds down after 2 viewings. Since we checked it it from the library it was free, and it worked so well I didn't have to really do much else, thought we had been reviewing the Alphabet at Starfall and just on paper or signs as well.

mamaraby
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
If it was me, I would purchase the Leap Frog DVD Letter Factory for the letters and their sounds. Then I would start with ETC 1. You can modify anything to match your child.

We're fairly TV free, but for families that aren't that sounds like a wonderful idea.

Jilly
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Instead of the DVD, how about the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Set (http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK)? My son learned all his sounds from this. Once your son has his sounds down I would move on to ETC 1.

StartingOver
07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
We're fairly TV free, but for families that aren't that sounds like a wonderful idea.

We are mostly tv free here too, but the DVD is so recommended I had to get it. It is well worth it !

We have the fridge magnets too.

mamaraby
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I appreciate the feedback on the pre-ETC1 set of workbooks. He gets a kick out of workbooks at this point so I've been going with it which is why I considered them. I think we'll just keep working on letter sounds together the way that we are and hold off for ETC1. We already have some multi-colored fridge magnets (dollar section at Target) to play with, but I do have a color coded set from Nasco on the wish list.

I need to ponder the DVD a bit. Our library has several copies of it so I may check it out to preview first.

paganmomblog
07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I am going to third the LeapFrog DVD and magnets. One of the best things about the DVD is that its short and does all of the phonics in song. I have found that doing just about everything in song makes it easier for kids to retain.

You can also check out the Dollar Tree for inexpensive phonics workbooks. My son loves workbooks also and is really picking up the phonics as of lately between the workbooks and dvd.