PDA

View Full Version : Wildfires

RTB
06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I debated about posting this link - I don't know if others will think it is in poor taste. That said, I think it can be a learning experience - even if it is sad. These are images from a wildfire currently burning in the Valles Caldera National Preserve, which is located in New Mexico. My son is very interested in wildfire fire fighting, basically fire fighting in general. Some of the images show good examples of different techniques to battle wildfire (that I have not been able to find in books). Together with some vocabulary it can make for an educational lesson. Flickr: ThompsonRidgeFire's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thompsonrdgfire)

atomicgirl
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I can see smoke from that fire this morning. It's about 70 miles away, but I know I could see the red glow of reflected flames on the underside of the smoke plume this far away during the Cerro Grande fire that took out a big chunk of Los Alamos in 2000. Yes, fire season is sad, and tragic and still somehow fascinating. I know someone who volunteered on wildfire crews. If your son has specific questions I can see if I can get them answered for him.

RTB
06-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Were the AZ fires last summer, or two summers ago? I just remember finally being at the park, after being indoors for days b/c of the smoke, it was pretty clear and within 5 minutes it was raining ash on us and you could not see 20 feet. All the way from another state. We are in ABQ. The smoke plume on Tuesday was so odd - it looked like a volcano eruption. For the past couple of years I have taken the kids to the Caldera often b/c it is one of my favorite places to hike. Every year I worry that it is the last year that it will look like it does. Thanks for the offer by the way I may take you up on that!

atomicgirl
06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
We're in the EM!

atomicgirl
06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
And I'm pretty sure the fires were last year. We keep all the downstairs windows sealed to help the swamp cooler function properly, but crack the windows in the upstairs bedrooms. One evening I walked upstairs and the fire smell was so strong that I evacuated the house before doing a whole house check. I was shocked find out all the smoke was from AZ and not an electrical fire in the walls of my own home.

hockeymom
06-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Why would this be in poor taste?

We spent our morning reading about Sept 11 and other various terrorist attacks, along with school shootings (Columbine) and the war in Iraq. If we lived near wildfires, we'd definitely be studying those in depth. There's no telling what kids will be interested in!

Ellenaj
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I live in Albuquerque too and we just talked about the wildfires last night at dinner. My kids are concerned that we will never be able to go camping again. It is really sad. I remember New Mexico being a much greener and healthier place when I was a kid! Thanks for the links!

quabbin
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Wish I could send you some of our rain :/

RTB
06-07-2013, 11:25 PM
And I'm pretty sure the fires were last year. We keep all the downstairs windows sealed to help the swamp cooler function properly, but crack the windows in the upstairs bedrooms. One evening I walked upstairs and the fire smell was so strong that I evacuated the house before doing a whole house check. I was shocked find out all the smoke was from AZ and not an electrical fire in the walls of my own home.
Bah! I think I would panic thinking it was in my yard!

trulycrabby
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Not in poor taste at all, it's tragic but something we need to know about.